SERVING THE POOR IN KENYA
Pope Francis echoed the sentiments of St. Vincent de Paul when he called upon the Church to show “loving concern for each and every person, especially children, the elderly, those in need, who are often the last we think about.” Your gift will strengthen programs in Kenya, support our seminarians, and enrich the parishes and local communities we serve.
Our services include:
- DePaul Centre — With facilities including the Moriarty Institute of Continuing Formation, the Woodworking Shop, and the St. Vincent de Paul Seminary, more than 30 seminarians receive their education and formation here each year. In their pastoral ministry, these dedicated young men visit the sick, lead youth outreach programs, and evangelize people in areas beyond parish boundaries.
- Parish Ministry – The Vincentians of the Western Province administer five parishes in Kenya, as well as 35 outstations. These parishes are vibrant, faith-filled communities of sacrament and service.
- Water Projects – We dig wells at our Vincentian parishes to provide clean water for the poor and our priests.
- Parish Missions – Mission teams visit parishes to teach, preach, and celebrate the sacraments providing the parishioners with inspirational and spiritual encouragement by sharing God’s love.
- DePaul Woodworking – A Vincentian brother teaches carpentry skills to help people find stable jobs in their towns and villages.
- Ministry to Priests – We offer the Emmaus Program, a week-long gathering for diocesan priests, three times each year. This program encourages ongoing education and fraternal support among local diocesan priests. We also lead the Forming the Formators program, an annual month-long meeting of Vincentians, to assist with spiritual and intellectual formation in Africa and the island of Madagascar.
- Saint Vincent’s Nursery School – We opened this preschool in the heart of the Kibera slum in Nairobi, Kenya, during the summer of 2005. The school is a center for evangelization and education, with plans to serve even more children in the coming years.
- Poor at our Gates – Due to the generosity of the Steward Family Foundation we are able to meet basic needs such as school fees, food provision, medical assistance, transport and general supplies for those that come at our gate at De Paul Centre, Nairobi and those people who are referred by the Vincentian priests and brothers from our apostolic sites.
We invite you to offer your prayers and support to help sustain and grow the young Church in East Africa. Please make a gift today!
Get up and Go: The Vincentian Mission in Kenya
This documentary video tells how the Vincentians of the Congregation of the Mission Western Province committed to the Kenya Mission in the early 1980s, respondig to the prevalence of poverty in the region in the tradition of St. Vincent de Paul. The mission would grow over time to become the Region of Kenya and in 2022, because of its growth and potential for self-sufficiency, attained the status of Vice-Province.